At Joga Chiropractic Center we specialize in natural pain treatments for herniated disc and other painful conditions affecting the entire family. Our Los Angeles chiropractor, Viktorija A. Joga, delivers personalized care after a thorough evaluation of the spine. Our treatment methods activate the body's natural healing power and provide pain relief that lasts.
What is Herniated Disc?
Intervertebral discs are soft, cushion-like cartilage between the backbones that make up the spine. The disc contains a gel-like substance that helps to absorb shock on the spine during everyday activities. A herniated, slipped, and ruptured disc means the disc is damaged as a result of pressure on the spine. The gel-like material may squeeze through a crack in the disc and press on or irritates the nerve leading to pain.
Ruptured Disc Causes
Adults over 35 are more likely to have worn, dry discs that are prone to injury. A sudden twist or lifting the wrong way can cause the disc in the neck or lower back to herniate or slip out of position. Other common causes include neck or back injury from a fall or car accident, obesity, prolonged sitting, misaligned spinal joints, and degenerative disc disease.
Typical Slipped Disc Symptoms
Common slipped disc symptoms include stiffness, reduced mobility, and:
- Dull, sharp, or disabling neck or lower back pain
- Neck pain travels along the path of the nerve to the shoulder, arm, or hand
- Lower back pain travels to the hips, buttocks, or legs (sciatica)
- Tingling, numbness, or weakness in the upper or lower extremities
Herniated Disc Treatment from Our Los Angeles Chiropractor
We may decide to treat you if the physical exam or results from an X-ray, CT scan, MRI, or discogram reveal a ruptured disc and nerve interference. Whether your chiropractic care plan includes spinal adjustments or soft tissue therapies, rest assured you won't have to take any drugs or undergo surgery. Instead, the non-invasive treatments stimulate healing from within the body.
- Spinal Adjustment – Our chiropractor will use her hands or a small instrument to gently realign the spinal joints and soft tissue. Repositioning the spine moves the disc material away from the nerve, eases back pain, reduces inflammation, numbness, and tingling.
- Massage Therapy – Great for relaxing the muscles in the neck or back. It stimulates blood flow and releases hormones that help relieve pain naturally. Adjustments and massage therapies work together to eliminate pain and increase mobility.
Manage Disc Pain with Chiropractic Care
A ruptured disc does not heal on its own. The pain can also get worse with time. Without treatment, the patient may need surgery to repair or replace the slipped disc. Treatment at Joga Chiropractic Center in Los Angeles, CA, reduces these risks while providing lasting relief. Call 424-800-2488 to schedule an appointment today.